Friday, August 20, 2010

The return of the budgie smuggler...

On a totally random note, Google has told me that Speedos (or budgie smugglers as they are affectionately called Down Under) are making a comeback.

Hurrah!

This was something that quizzed me as odd as I always though kwei-lo's are supposed to be less conservative regarding beachwear. Like hello, seen all the skimpy bikinis on the girls on the beach regardless of how fat they are?? So I was quite puzzled as to why the guys on the other hand wore board-shorts. My first impression was "maybe it's more suitable for surfing". But I noticed its a staple for non-surfers as well. And for those who DID wear Speedos, they mostly belonged to the older generation. And people would snicker derisively behind their backs.

Ironically, Speedo's are an Aussie invention.

As a child, I have always seen my dad in Speedo's whenever we go to the beach or to the pool. Mind you he has a huge pot-belly, so I wouldnt say he looked great in it. Then again EVERYONE wore Speedos. All my uncles did, regardless of paunch or no paunch. So imagine my suprise (and slight dissapointment, LOL) when all them fit aussie boys run around the beach wearing things that covered too much skin.

UNFAIR!

Bring back Speedo's. It needs to be the swim gear du jour for Aussie blokes once again! Down with the board shorts unless you need it to surf (in which case, use a wetsuit, no?)!!

Because even boardshorts have taken over Malaysia. I doubt many M'sians wear them swim briefs anymore. Is Europe the last continent standing????? (Judging by what the Dutch and German boys are wearing to the beach here in Newcastle, I think not. They might even bring back this nonsensical board shorts idea back home, heaven forbid!)

1 comment:

  1. Good observation.. I don't think any male specimens of our generation would want to be caught dead wearing a budgie smuggler. Damn you aussies!!

    ReplyDelete